silo clean up

Whether you're brand new to air duct cleaning, an experienced contractor, or just someone who has a good idea, your opinions and experiences are valuable to others. Your voice matters.

Together, we can build discussion networks leading to more strategic and effective partnerships in the industry of air duct cleaning.

silo clean up

Postby mbz300sd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 pm

I have been asked to help with some silo cleaning. Someone is coming in to clean the walls of the silos and let all the flour fall to the bottom and I will use my truck to vacuum it out. Should I be cautious of the possibility that the flour could ignite? What can I do to make some kind of ground so that static does not build up.

Thanks for any advice
mbz300sd

Re: silo clean up

Postby John Bently » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:13 pm

We have cleaned a number of similar places. When doing the work we have always grounded our hoses and fittings to try to avoid a spark.
When the dust is airborne it can create a fuel to air ratio that can be flammable and can explode. If it is just in piles on the floor it is less likely to flash.
Will you be waiting until the walls are done and just cleaning the floor?

It can be a hazardous situation. If you have any doubts I would walk away.

John
John Bently

Postby mbz300sd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:06 am

My understanding is that someone will clean the walls and the debris will fall to the floor of the silo and we will vacuum it up. What do you use to ground your hoses?
mbz300sd

Postby John Bently » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Grounding straps or cables. Clamped to the hose, wire helix, couplers and truck/vacuum and then routed to a suitable ground.
You want to create a path for static to get to ground easily.

John
John Bently

Return to General Discussion