Retrieving tool

Whether you're brand new to air duct cleaning, an experienced contractor, or just someone who has a good idea, your opinions and experiences are valuable to others. Your voice matters.

Together, we can build discussion networks leading to more strategic and effective partnerships in the industry of air duct cleaning.

Retrieving tool

Postby Ron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:54 am

What do you do to retrieve a stuck tool?

I have one that I suspect is caught between the duct wall and a sheet metal screw. Thinking about cutting the rod and sliding a piece of soft copper tubing over it to knock the whip loose.

Thanks
Ron

Re: Retrieving tool

Postby John Bently » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm

I would look at running a standard whip in near the stuck head and let it whip the area for awhile to see if you can move the one that is stuck.
Normally we would let the air pressure build up to full and then go in bursts to try and get it loose.

The other thing is moving forward and rotating the rod to try and get it out of the zone it is in. if you can move it forward then whip and roll while slowly pulling back.

We always move things slowly so if you are pulling on a rod and you feel resistance you can stop and go ahead to try and avoid pulling into the "stuck" zone.

Once it is out of the area where it was jammed, don't send it back in.

John
John Bently

Postby Ron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 am

Thanks John, I tried each of those as well as a few other tricks but wasn't able to free it. Originally thought that it was caught between a support screw and the wall of the duct, but after opening the main found that it was caught in a branch duct. There were no dampers on the run so I'm not sure what it was caught on but would have had to cut into the ceiling to get it out and the room was full of antiques. It was only the third one I've lost in 15 years.
Ron

Postby John Bently » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:00 am

Another technique we use is to form something like a ski tip out of coat hanger wire, basically a bent loop of wire with a slight curve and secure it to the end of a rod and use additional rods to push it down the duct. This works very well for a basic skipper line,(flexible tubing) but can be more difficult with rods that have couplers.

The way it works is you run the skipper line through the wire loop and then push the rods down the line which guide the loop to the head. When the loop reaches the head it can't fit over it so the loop pushes the head forward and dislodges it. I have always been able to get skippers out this way and have never lost one when using this method.

John
John Bently

Postby Ron » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks John, I'll try that next time.

I have some all thread that works great but I need line of sight to use it and didn't have it because the branch duct connected to the bottom of the main. This was a fire job at a gun shop and the owner was very happy with the work we did. I had asked him earlier in the day for a price on a used spotting scope and when I went to pay for it, he gave me a new Leupold instead.
Ron

Postby John Bently » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Very nice perk,
for doing good work! :)

John
John Bently

Return to General Discussion