Should I get a truck mount?

Whether you're brand new to air duct cleaning, an experienced contractor, or just someone who has a good idea, your opinions and experiences are valuable to others. Your voice matters.

Together, we can build discussion networks leading to more strategic and effective partnerships in the industry of air duct cleaning.

Should I get a truck mount?

Postby gcuete » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

I have been considering investing on a truck mount, mostly for a marketing advantage over the cheap coupons companies and to impress the HVAC guys.
But I am in a big metro area where single family homes are less than half of the jobs, the rest is condos, townhouses, and hard to reach places and tight parking.
I am wondering if I can easily work with 125 ft to 150 ft of hoses.
I am planning to also have a portable unit in the truck, so I will need room for all of the hoses and a portable unit as well.
Can anyone share some thoughts on it.
Thanks.
Giuliano.
Giuliano
Airwiz
www.airwizcleanair.com
gcuete

Re: Should I get a truck mount?

Postby breatheclean » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 am

Check out the Hypervac h1 it might be exactly what you are looking for they are made in alberta canada just youtube it,the truck also carries a portable which might be exactly what you are looking for Ron
breatheclean

Postby John Bently » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 pm

You want to take a good look at your budget and see what the numbers say you can afford. A downturn in business that may tighten your cash flow could create quite a problem if you borrow for the purchase.

My first choice would be to see what is in the used market. You can save a lot of money finding a good piece of used equipment. People downsizing, replacing or dropping that portion of the business can often have good equipment for a reasonable price. My primary concern with used equipment is the engine and maintenance. That being said you can put a new engine in a truck or piece of equipment for a reasonable cost.

If you go with a "slide-in" unit you can put it in a box truck and have room for a portable and lots of hose when stored efficiently. One nice thing about a box truck is there is lots of surface for signage and you have a big truck look.

You mentioned hard to reach places and parking. There is also traffic, overnight parking, fuel costs and driver capability to think about as well.

John
John Bently

Postby gcuete » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 am

What is better, pto such as the Caddyvac or separated engine such is the H1 from Hyppervac?
Also has anyone tried the H1 truck?
Giuliano
Airwiz
www.airwizcleanair.com
gcuete

Postby Ron » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:31 pm

My Heat Seal truck mount is a good unit and there is enough space left inside my 14' box truck to carry my Nikro EC5000 and a portable compressor when needed without removing anything else. I've it for 11 years.
Ron

Postby breatheclean » Fri May 02, 2014 7:24 pm

I use pto driven biltwell and caddyvac unit's and they both work well,one of my units has a quincy 340 which i really like,never gets low on air.Just seen the h1 units and think they would really work good for certain companies,plus you can put it on a 4x4 chassis very easily,i am in canada so that would be a big plus!!
breatheclean

Postby gcuete » Mon May 05, 2014 8:12 pm

I heard Caddyvac is more reliable than Biltwell but I don't know anything about the H1. The Caddyvac people saytheir trucks produce 10000 CFM at I think 20" static pressure
The H1 people says 12000 CFM on theirs
Biltwell says 12500 CFM at 15" static pressure

I may settle for a box truck, to see how it goes from there, and a set up such as Zephyr or Heat Seal diesel truck mount.

The folks at Myers Machine say the Zephyr pulls 11000 CFM at the end 100 ft 8" hose - does it sound true?
Myers folks also says that the Heat seal machine is an overkill and a waste of energy since the the 8" hose cannot keep up with the fan.

Does it anyone know the output with static pressure on all of the above?
Giuliano
Airwiz
www.airwizcleanair.com
gcuete

Postby Art Schlangen » Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm

I have a Heat Seal unit and works great for us. Very Happy with the unit. We are just starting up but I know a couple of companies that is all they use and they are very successful. Just my two cents. Good Luck. ART
Rescue Duct
www.rescueduct.com
Greenwood, In
Art Schlangen

Postby Robert » Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 am

We have 2 meyer zephyers, both in 16' box trucks. Plenty of suction and space. I have older ones with a separate air compressor. i can tell you this: the suction at the end of 200' of 8" is still way more than any portable i have ever used, and i own a lot of portable electric vacs. These units where rated at about 8000 cfm @ 30" of static lift. They have more suction than a gas portable, and you don't have to worry about rain. That being said we do about %50 residential and for the price to performance ratio its a no brainier for the power they offer. My trucks carry 200' of vacuum hose, 300' of air hose, a small electric portable vacuum, 2 hepa vacs, etc....we bring it all!
Robert

Postby gcuete » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:42 am

What is the minimum payload capacity should you have if your carrying all of the same items above mention by Robert. A Zephyr 1500 lbs, 1 portable 200 lbs, 300' air line, a 32 ladder, tools, some shelving, 200 ft 8' hoses, miscellaneous, shop vac, 2 techs. etc.
I now nothing about trucks, I have always owned GM vans, so as of right now I am thinking about a gas box trucks 14 " x 7 width, with about 3,000 lbs payload. Does it make sense? We drive 25k miles yearly in metro area traffic.
Thanks.
Giuliano
Airwiz
www.airwizcleanair.com
gcuete

Return to General Discussion