The missing diamond ring!

Whether you're brand new to air duct cleaning, an experienced contractor, or just someone who has a good idea, your opinions and experiences are valuable to others. Your voice matters.

Together, we can build discussion networks leading to more strategic and effective partnerships in the industry of air duct cleaning.

The missing diamond ring!

Postby Mike Erlandson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 pm

I did a residential job this past monday. Received a call from the police department tuesday that the wife's wedding ring was either missing or had been stolen. Since I left the customers home I have not had a call from them - only the police. Gave my side of the story to the police and I think they believed me as I picked up a copy of the police report and bottom line of the report is STATUS: This investigation is closed. It is undetermined at this time if the ring was misplaced or stolen.

I still have had no contact with the customer. What would you do if you were me?
Mike Erlandson

Re: The missing diamond ring!

Postby Deano » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

Don't take the ring to a local pawn shop. :lol:
Deano

Re: The missing diamond ring!

Postby John Bently » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:10 am

It is interesting that the police report states the investigation is closed. The police report indicates they are not concerned or there is no strong evidence to indicate a crime. At this point if you have not been contacted by the customer I would let it be for now.

I would have a meeting with staff about the incident and your policies and procedures regarding situations such as this and also state the fact that employee theft is grounds for immediate termination and that you would fully cooperate with police regarding any situation that may arise. This type of possibility is a reason for doing background checks before hiring.

This is a challenge for anyone who works in homes as air duct cleaners do. Not only are you in the house, you need to go everywhere in the building which may mean access to areas where personal items and valuables are kept. If something goes missing it can be difficult to establish what happened.

John
John Bently

Return to General Discussion